centered image

centered image

A Baby Has Been Born With Rare Benjamin Button-Like Disease

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

We always wish the best for our children. Whether it’s your first or your third, son or daughter, perhaps even nephew, niece or grandchild, you want them to be healthy and happy. The best nursery, the best toys, plenty of bedtime stories and, of course, a few trips here and there to the ice cream parlour to partake in your favourite nostalgic tradition.

However, as not all things are created equal. Some, whether it be genetic or the circumstances of the pregnancy, are born with disabilities. Autism, dyslexia, paraplegia, Down’s, Huntington’s, there are many sorts of conditions that can affect a child as they grow up, but few a quite so intriguing as a wasting disease.

In Magura, Bangladesh, a boy was born this past Sunday with a rare condition called progeria. This particular syndrome mimics the effects of advanced age, including wrinkles on the face, a very sunken body and hollow eyes. One of the doctors who has been treating the boy said:

“The baby does not look like a newborn at all. There are prominent signs of ageing such as excessive wrinkles and rough skin texture.”

9fbd1fa2d90608201260d118e126c6a9.jpg

The as yet unnamed child’s parents however, don’t really mind. Biswajit Patro, a local farmer and the father, said:

“We can only thank God. There is no need to be unhappy about the appearance of my son. We are so happy to have a baby boy in the house.”

Biswajit and his wife Parul have regularly received visitors, looking to get a glimpse of their newborn’s strange condition. There are no other signs that the child is suffering from other potential health risks.

Clearly, there is praise to be given to these parents. Given that this part of the world is not extolled for fair views on disabilities and medicine, having them be so loving and open is a great boon to this child .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018

2. Rick Robbins

Rick Robbins Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    The parents in this case have the attitude that ever parent should have when they have a child with a major disability. I have seen many cry because they are absorbed with the baby’s defects instead of feeling blessed they have a child.
    I may be out of line on this one because I have never had a child with a disability and I guess I would feel sad if they did, but when you show joy when you discover that you child has a major problem is a blessing.

3. Lawrence DeLuca

Lawrence DeLuca Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Amen. I am a parent of a child with a birth disability. He is 40 and a blessing.