centered image

Do NSAIDs Really Increase My Risk of Cardiovascular Disease?

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

While my blood pressure tends to run severely low, high blood pressure runs in my family so I am always aware that it could become part of my future if I am not careful. I also take Mobic, which is a strong, prescriptions NSAID and will likely need it for life. NSAIDs are very commonly used drugs and you have surely used ibuprofen or naproxen at some point for a headache, joint pain or another minor discomfort. The FDA put a warning label on NSAIDs to warm about possible cardiovascular risk and a study was done.

What the Study Says
    Scientist Dr. Daniel H. Soloman and investigators from Brigham and Women's Hospital teamed up to look at how this type of drug affects cardiovascular health. 53,014 nonselective NSAID users and 76,082 selective NSAID users were identified along with 46,558 people who did not use this type of drug. They looked at these people and if any of them have cardiovascular issues and the specific NSAID that they used. It was determined that ibuprofen and rofecoxib users had the highest incidence of cardiovascular issues.

Should I Stop Taking My NSAID?
    No, you should not. There are certainly risks, but at this time, they do not appear to be high enough to make everyone stop taking these drugs. It is important that your doctor knows exactly what other medications you take and your full medical history before he or she prescribes a new drug. Not everyone will be able to take NSAIDs, but this is something that you and your doctor will decide together.

When it comes to over-the-counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen, follow the instructions on the bottle exactly. You must also tell your doctor about all OTC drugs and how you are taking them. This will help to reduce the risk of bad side effects and other issues.

What Else Can I Do For Pain?
    Your doctor can help with this because not all pain-relieving methods are meant for everyone. However, things like exercise, meditation, deep breathing and other complementary and alternative medicine techniques may be helpful.

For many people, staying active without overdoing it is helpful. Your doctor can help you develop an exercise routine. I know that staying active has helped me immensely when it comes to my joint pain. If I spend even one day really sedentary, I pay for it the next day with stiff joints and intense aching.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. ajit srivastava

ajit srivastava Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    selective cox-2 inhibitor is a good option like etoricoxib

3. Dr.Heart

Dr.Heart Well-Known Member

medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Italy
    major heart risks are with COXIB ( celecoxib,meloxicam,eterocoxib,rofecoxib, valdecoxib,parecoxib) , and NSAID specific for COX-2 . By inhibition of COX-2 , all the metabolites are shifted to COX-1 , responsible for Thromboxane A2 synthesis , so this increments heart-risk for ischemia and heart-attack . The best drugs for pain depends on the grade of pain , light, moderate , severe or chronic .

4. ajit srivastava

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    can sombody help me dat how PPI is metabolized in our body.

5. Dr.Heart

Dr.Heart Well-Known Member

medical student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Italy
    PPI are metabolized by CYP450 in the liver

6. ajit srivastava

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    how CYP450 metabolize ppi...?