centered image

centered image

Doctors Left Stunned After Baby Girl is Born With Her Heart Beating OUTSIDE Her Chest

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

The newborn suffers a condition called ectopia cardis, where the heart develops outside the chest wall, according to doctors

[​IMG]

A baby girls has stunned doctors in India, after she was born with her heart outside her chest
    But the new mum was shocked when she realised the girl’s heart was beating outside her body.

The woman had never sought medical help throughout her gestation period or undergone an ultrasound due to lack of money and so was unaware of her baby’s condition.

After the preliminary care, doctors at the hospital referred the newborn to an advanced heart institute in a different city for a life-saving surgery.

Dr Manirul Islam Sarkar said: “The baby has a condition called ectopia cardis where her heart developed outside her chest wall.

“We acted efficiently to save her and later referred her to a heart institute where the child would undergo a surgery under government expenses

“We are hoping for a successful surgery.”

0c99290ec493e4b7450eab377189bd79.jpg

The little girl was born on Wednesday at a hospital in north east India
    Both Khatun and her husband, Jahirul Isma, 29, a daily wage labour are devastated with their first born’s condition and are hoping for a miracle that could save her.

Islam said: “I could not hold back tears when I saw the baby.

“I had never seen any baby like this before and could not believe my child was born this way.

“We are worried what will happen to our baby and only hoping for a miracle for her survival.”

WHAT IS ECTOPIA CARDIS?

Ectopia cardis is an extremely rare congenital abnormality, where the heart is located partially or entirely outside of the chest wall.

It is estimated to affect one in every 126,000 births, with girls slightly more likely to suffer it.

The condition is caused by a failure of the embryo to develop properly.

Due to how rare the condition is there are limited treatment options.

Successful surgeries have been performed, but the mortality rate remains high.

Source

Add Reply

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018