centered image

Doctors Warn Study Shows Connection Between Heart Disease And COVID-19

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by In Love With Medicine, Apr 15, 2020.

1. In Love With Medicine

In Love With Medicine Golden Member

[​IMG]

Doctors warn study shows connection between heart disease and COVID-19

PITTSBURGH —A study conducted by JAMA Cardiology found a connection between heart disease and COVID-19.

"It's anything from 10 to 12 times higher from a recent paper that came out from JAMA, saying if you have cardiovascular disease that your risk especially if you're elderly," said Dr. Bob Biederman, an Allegheny Health Network cardiologist. "We are trying to tell our patients, for everybody, social isolation techniques are critical."

"I suffered a massive heart attack a few years ago," Kim Leo said. "I have been very fortunate to have recuperated from that."

Leo said she is grateful for her recovery, but also afraid.

"With the COVID-19 pandemic, it is extremely frightening," she said.

Biederman said he is warning all of his patients to recognize the danger, especially if they have additional issues.

"If you have superimposed problems where you have, for instance, lung issues, you're a smoker, have COPD, you have asthma, then there is a whole host of contributing factors that are making your risk higher, then you particularly should do your best to stay isolated," Biederman said.

Biederman said he is watching the studies and the data closely, while encouraging his patients to stay home like Leo is.

"I do go out and take walks, but I am adhering to the CDC guidelines and practicing social distancing," Leo said.

Source

Add Reply