centered image

centered image

How to Study Histology

Discussion in 'Histology' started by John Jossef, Mar 25, 2011.

1. John Jossef

John Jossef Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bulgaria

Studying histology is difficult for many. Some medical students hate histology for its ambiguity. And truth be told, it really can be hard to differentiate between pseudostratified epithelium and stratified columnar epithelium. However, histology is an important medical school course - just ask anybody who has gone through pathology. In any case, all medical students must study histology. It turns out that there are many things you can do to improve your histology studying. And who knows, by making histology easier to understand, maybe you'll begin to actually like studying histology.

Instructions:-

1- Learn the general characteristics of the four types of tissues - epithelial, muscle, connective, and neural. When you study histology later in the course, it will be organ-based. It's absolutely imperative that you understand the building blocks.

2- Look at histology images that weren't presented in lecture. A lot of medical school professors like to pull histology images from other sources. It's their way of testing how much you know about a histology concept. They are a lot less interested in seeing how well you memorize the labeled examples in lecture.

3- Find several good histology websites. Blue Histology is one of many great resources for medical students who study histology. You can pick what material you would like to review and be able to take a customized multiple-choice of fill-in-the-blank test. Since the histology images are new to you, it's a great way to see how well you understand the histology concepts. It's also a great way to find out if you study histology in an effective manner.

4- Study with a group of friends. By the time you get to medical school, your peers are generally hard workers. Studying histology in a group will let you share your strengths with others, while picking up on other's strengths.

5- Keep a list of terms as you study histology. This will allow you to easily gauge how well you are retaining any histology material that you've already covered.

6- Smile! It's important to try to have fun as you study histology. A good attitude will carry you a long way.

[​IMG]

Add Reply
    Honganh, Mahsan and isni like this.

2. rabab froja

rabab froja Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Palestine
    excellent tips -(-: but i like the most this tip which recommends to share strength between peers (Y) generally i approve couples studding and team work

rabab froja likes this.
  3. muhammed

muhammed Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    South Africa
    that is nice and this systamatic orgnization indcates how is rabab froja?!
    thanx alot

4. anany

anany Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Oman
    thankssssssssssssssssssssssss

5. Natasha Phiri

Natasha Phiri Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Zimbabwe
    thank you, let me get to it now

6. Neil

Neil Active member

Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Chile
    Those are great tips, I also found it helpful to read out loud several times, and drawing enough time to make a mental picture. I actually failed my first year of histology because I didn't know how to study it, my second year I tried this, plus reading "Histology: A Text and Atlas" M. H. Ross and W. Pawlina. Great book, helped a lot.

7. Dr Balasubramanyam

Dr Balasubramanyam Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Some of the histology atlases are also very useful....Wheater's, DiFiore