centered image

centered image

I Tried Intermittent Fasting For One Month And Even I Was Surprised With What Happened

Discussion in 'Physical and Sports Medicine' started by dr.omarislam, Feb 4, 2018.

1. dr.omarislam

dr.omarislam Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

Let me start by saying that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast. It’s what gets me going in the morning.

Even when I’ve finished breakfast, I’m looking forward to lunch. I love eating. It just makes life better.

However, recently my pot belly was getting a little out of control and I needed to do something about it. I’m not one to diet, so I decided to try what keeps Terry Crews in top shape: Intermittent fasting.

What is intermittent fasting?
    You’ve probably heard of intermittent fasting before. Several research studies have found considerable benefits to it.

According to Health Line, these benefits include: lower insulin levels, weight loss, lower risk of diabetes, lower oxidative stress and inflammation, improved heart health, increased growth of new neurons in brain, and it may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease.

I’m no scientist but those benefits sound almost too good to be true!

So, how do you practice intermittent fasting?

The most popular way is to not eat for 12 to 18 hours a day each day. This means you could have your last meal at 7 pm and your first meal at 12 pm. From 12 pm to 7 pm, you’re allowed to eat as much as you like.

Other methods include going one or two days without eating 2 times a week.

Here’s what happened when I tried intermittent fasting for a month
    I’m not going to lie, the first few days were a struggle. I love working early in the morning, but by the time it got close to 10 am, I was feeling so hungry it was distracting me.

My energy was completely zapped.

That being said, it was a euphoric experience when it hit 12 PM and I was finally able to eat.

But after a few days I became accustomed to it and it was much easier.

In fact, as I didn’t need to think about eating, my mind was clear and I just focused on working. The morning coffee actually hit me really hard because I had no food in my system.

So, if you’re going to try intermittent fasting, it might be better to slowly wean yourself onto it. For example, for the first day, you could eat at 9 am, the second day at 10 am, the third day at 11 am etc…

Also, you might want to dismantle some preconceived myths you have about not eating. For example, you don’t have to worry hunger pains because they won’t do you any harm according to research.

And exercising on an empty stomach is fine, according to experts. In fact, it might even come with significant health benefits. I feel lighter when I was running in the morning without food and my energy levels were fine.

Research has also suggested that running in the morning is good for your brain.

I’m also enjoying my meals a lot more because I know it’ll be a long time before I eat again. I’m eating more mindfully.

My potbelly is still big, but that’s okay
    The end result was pretty great. I ended up losing 4 kgs in just one month. Unfortunately my pot belly is there. Perhaps I need to stop drinking beer!

But I do feel more focused and energized throughout the day, so I think I’ll keep it going. Not having to worry about what to eat in the morning is a huge plus and my life feels more balanced.

If you want to be inspired to try intermittent fasting, check out this video of Terry Crews explaining how he goes about it. It’s what inspired me to give it a try and I hope it can do the same for you.

Source

Add Reply
    RhysDrago likes this.