centered image

centered image

Is it acceptable for Doctors to have Tattoos?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr. Sebastian, Jan 27, 2014.

1. hussien

hussien Active member

G.P
    Practicing medicine in:
    Yemen
    it's so bad for a doctor or other pepole . look to her arm it's butefull without tattoo > like botattoo hahahaha

2. abere ayodeji olalekan

abere ayodeji olalekan Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Ukraine
    ethics also matter for every profession

3. Yvette

Yvette Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Peru
  4. Angela Tama Zang

Angela Tama Zang Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I'm a pediatrician and I have two. Of course, one means "mother." They are both well hidden. I don't think it should matter

5. Pratiksha

Pratiksha Young Member

Med student
    Practicing medicine in:
    India
    that totally depends on where d doc is practicing ...if he /she are practicing in a community where people have a mind set that docs are like civilians of highly intellectual community (which is the majority in the world) having tattooed body ....n streaked hair will definitely fetch a bad impressions from the patients....the patients will doubt the physician`s prescription ,they `ll simply underestimate the doc.....

Rammy Belberowa likes this.
  6. Ilm

Ilm Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bosnia Herzegovina
    Well, i m pharmacist and i have tattoo anddd...honestly, frankly.... i admit.... there is a connection with tattoo and bad part of personality (that doasn t mean its smth horrible, but, still, its not good, nt even optimal) As my concern, in a perfect world nobary should have tattooes especialy human "keepers of health" on the Earth. But, we live in chaos so we have what we have, we cant force them to remove it or forbid them to work if have tattoo, we only can affect future doctors to see that tattoo is not a place on the body of one " virgin healthy brain". Tattoo is a trap, a sign, its a small secret, one tinny, tinny "devil" in you( i talk only about those who has limits in tattoo, 1-2 tatttoo.. more is approaching to sickness) Its almost the same thing with the question...-should doctors smoke, or drink, or be to skinny, or too fatty.., or crazy..) i think this is more religion question...

7. TimBassett

TimBassett Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I met a cardiac surgeon on the beach yesterday with a Caduceus tattooed in the center of his chest. He said it where he has placed hundreds of "zippers" on patients.
    He was not a backwoods doc of dubious background, but graduated from a prestigious US university and works with one of the top cardiac centers on the globe. I presume there was no full body inspection upon acceptence into this institution.

8. keith foxall

keith foxall Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United Kingdom
    I think you have to look at it from other peoples view. in today's softly softly society. more and more people are suffering from anxiety and other sensory disorders. like if you have an autistic child and the doctor has skulls all over his hands and face.. that would be off-putting and scary to certain people. also, it depends if you work with children or adults. if you a surgeon or a family doctor. so yes it does matter if you have a tattoo. don't get me wrong i have full shoulders of a tattoo. but I bet my business will suffer if I have tattoo's on my face or hands... you have the freedom to do what you want. but you must accept peoples choice also. if they do not want to go to you. you can not demand them.. it was your choice, not theirs..

Attached Files:

9. keith foxall

Practicing medicine in:
    United Kingdom

i think you go to church. its sounds like your tattoo is conflicting to you. ask for forgiveness. put your heart at rest... and please do not bring religion into this.. its about tattoo's in the workplace. not your own guilt over getting a tattoo when you were younger.. you do know you can have it removed.. please ask for help. its sound like your hurting inside..

10. Fatima Walter

Fatima Walter Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    China
    I believe tattoos have a meaning to all those that have them...it’s some kinda way of expressing themselves, doctors can choose that way to express themselves too
    Beside doctors are living just as everyone else and should be allowed to express themselves like anyone else

Tattoos tell stories about people’s life experience, which doctors are no exception ‍♀️

11. keith foxall

Practicing medicine in:
    United Kingdom
    I think what they are saying. Is not about the tattoo. As they did tell stories of time in your life I have 4. I think should they be seen is the point. Me personally I don't like hand neck or face tattoos. Any where else is good.

12. Alfredo Benites

Alfredo Benites Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Peru
    If my doctor is good.. It s no matters.. People look for a good doctor

13. Dr Kumar

Dr Kumar Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Saudi Arabia
    As a doctor for last 9 years, I never found it awkward. In fact, way before I even thought of being in medical school, I made three stars on my right side of the neck, which is very much visible. The first star is visible to someone standing right in front of me and other two are visible when I move my head a bit. I also have another tatto on the ulner side of the right palm which comes from my family tradition-as a symbol of my royal blood.

Personally I believe, tattoo comes under your personal choice of body decoration and it does not hamper medical faculty or practices. Now, so far the social stigma and acceptance of patients was concerned, I faced trouble in whole world at the beginning of my work everywhere, in every country I worked -not because I had visible tattoos, because I am very young by look, short, lean and thin by physic yet with a very strong personality of a big doctor (which usually a mismatch with my look for first timer). It has become a routine at my work that I have to represent myself in a way that I know what I am doing and I am confident about it, to my patient. Over the years I have established good command on how to deal with first impression for my patients.

For a note, I am currently working in Saudi Arabia, a country where tattoo is not only a taboo but also religiously forbidden and frowned upon. Most importantly, I work mainly with elderly people who are quite religious in nature in this country. As a result my tattoos are definitely a big question for someone I meet for the first time. However, with God’s Grace and blessings of my parents, I have learnt how to make my patient feel comfortable when I am around. Therefore, it is not giving me a hard time.

Hence the direct answer to your first question would be, it is completely okay to have tattoo provided you know what is your job when you wear a white coat and you better give your best every single time.

I am a perfect example of your second question. So yes!

As explained, I have never been disrespected for my tattoos and my experience-although for a little window- of 9 years as a doctor has been excellent and till date my patients never have complained or gave a negative feedback on me having tattoos. In fact, many of them honoured me calling “Captain” (three starred military doctor) once they are easy with me. We must know one thing clearly, patients and their relatives are not stupid. They can easily assess your efforts as a humans being trying to be helpful at their period of crisis. If you can win their heart with your effort, it does not matter what is the result, patient would always fall for you and be thankful. Therefore, definitely, if you are a good human being and trying to help your patient with an honest try using your knowledge, you will receive respect no matter how black you look or how many tattoos are popping up in your skin.

Nose piercing is a traditional practice among woman in many countries of the world including india. Therefore, it didn’t bother me much before I left India. Abroad I find a handful number of people would actually not like it, however, they wouldn’t protest or say anything about it.

As a pedicab personnel, here comes the hygiene and proper medical practice. A nose pin could be a source of infection, sometimes work as a career to spread it around. Now, that is when I have a problem. I do not have any personal hate towards the nose piercing but it should not make your work environment difficult. People who are dealing with sterile objects, working inside OT etc. nose pin is actually risky for their daily work too. Considering everything, I wouldn’t prefer a nose pin while at work, but it is completely okay if that makes you feel happy.

Cheers!

14. Cristopper

Cristopper Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bangladesh
    Doctors are involved in a respectful profession. And tattoos are commonly used by musicians and actors. But they can used for temporary entertainment. In may opinion tattoos need to be used on parts of the body that should not be seen externally during professional work.

15. Dr. Abbas Hamdan

Dr. Abbas Hamdan Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Russian Federation
    For me it depends on his society, so there's some society's that accept the dr. to have tattoos, piercings modern hairstyles and to do whatever he wants by his shapes. And in another society's they don't accept all these at all, and the name and position of the doctor are related also to his appearance. So as a doctor's we most respect the laws and rules of our societies, because our job depends mainly on our social and environmental relationships.

16. Andrea Clark

Andrea Clark Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Agreed with both confidence level of doctor when dealing a patient.