centered image

centered image

Medical Students to Begin 24-Hour Work Shifts July 1

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

For many of us, an 8-hour work day seems long, but how about a 24 hour day? For first year residency students, that's what's in their future beginning July 1.

We talk with med students and their director to see how that will affect them and their patients.

"I've been a doctor for eight years now," Dr. Shashank Kraleti, M.D., Residency Program Director, said.

Dr. Kraleti is a family medicine doctor and runs the residency program at UAMS.

"Every patient comes in with a different challenge," Dr. Kraleti said.

Which is why he loves what he does. Knowing everyday, it's always about the patient.

"Everyday I walk into the clinic im not sure what I will come across," Dr. Kraleti said.

And hearing his first-year residency students will start on a 24-hour work shift this summer has him excited.

"Everybody feels there is a win-win for patients and residents," Dr. Kraleti said.

The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education says the change from 16-hour days to 24-hour days will enhance patient safety because there will be fewer hand-offs from doctor to doctor.

"A lot of studies have shown improved patient care and the residents say this is better to them," Dr. Kraleti said.

"We'll have better conditioning and I'd rather have my hardest year be my first one," First-year med student Charles Armistead said.

First-year med students Charles Armistead and Erin Yancy say this will help them in their studies. But Yancy says she sees the other side as well. A 24-hour shift is long.

"I see how there are people on both sides of the idea," Yancy said.

But she agrees with Dr. Kraleti -- this is all about the patient.

"I can see how that would be concerning, but the residents do a fine job working 24 hours," Dr. Kraleti said.

So while it may seem daunting, this change, Dr. Kraleti says, will improve patient care across the globe.

This change goes into effect July 1. It would have residents working 24-hour shifts, but Dr. Kraleti says it's always up to the supervisor if that will be put into effect.

Source

Add Reply
    Ghada Ali youssef likes this.

2. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    24 hr shift
    call 911