centered image

centered image

No more dialysis, Scientists Have Developed A Bionic Kidney!

Discussion in 'Biomedical Engineering' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Regular renal diseases management guidelines including different drugs, treatment options or dialysis are indeed very powerful and necessary, but there are times when we have to turn to modern technology. dialysis patients can’t live without the treatment, but their suffering is beyond imagination.

[​IMG]

Many of them must wait for years to get a kidney transplant and live normally, with seemingly no other solution on the horizon. However, there’s finally a light in the dark tunnel – scientists from the University of California at San Francisco, USA, have developed the world’s first bionic kidney which can replace damaged kidneys easily and effectively.

The bionic kidney is a perfect replica of our kidneys. This artificial kidney consists of numerous microchips and is moved by the heart. Like the normal kidneys, it is able to filter waste and toxins from the bloodstream.

The project was unveiled by Willian Vanderbilt Fissels and Shuvo Roy from the University of California, offering renewed hope for millions of kidney dialysis patients. Now, some of you may be wondering “But, what if the body rejects it?”, but, the scientists assure us that the chances of rejection are zero! Incredible, right?

This is because the bionic kidney is made from renal cells. The first prototype is the size of a coffee cup and can balance the levels of sodium and potassium in the body while regulating blood pressure.

The project is wonderful news for any dialysis patient. In the beginning (November 2015), the scientists received $6 million from the Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, and it’s safe to say that the money were well spent.

The scientists have high hopes for the bionic kidney, and the lead researcher, Dr. Victor Gura, says that the device will be available for sale in only 2 years.

Read Also:
    - Human Trials For Artificial Kidney To Begin This Year, With First Patient Implants In 2020
    - Nephrotic vs Nephritic Syndrome
    - Wearable Artificial Kidneys Offers An Alternative to Traditional Dialysis
    - Medical specialty quiz
    - Scientists Successfully Grow Sheep In Artificial Womb, Now They Want Humans To Be Next
    - Do you still want more info about the bionic kidney, watch this video: https://www.facebook.com/facultyofmedicine/videos/1075662792622941/

dde212a0a6d142e0fd39fc1e4057de53.jpg

Add Reply

2. Syed zubair 05

Syed zubair 05 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    Can u give me all information about this devise and total expensive with device cost.

PortiaMarieS likes this.
  3. Ramarao Poduri

Ramarao Poduri Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    When is it expected to reach Market

Khooshika likes this.
  4. Alan Ferdinandus

Alan Ferdinandus Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Germany
    Hi, I am interested in this opportunity, How am I to gain more information as to its availibitly and the costs involved.

Shaw Bosso likes this.
  5. Naseem sana

Naseem sana Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    When will it be in the market or can we purchase it.. I'm a patient and really in need of it!

Shaw Bosso likes this.
  6. Has clinical trial begin

Has clinical trial begin Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Has clinical trial begin ? Has the fda approve this project for human trials...

7. Triz

Triz Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Fiji

8. Triz

Triz Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Fiji
    Can I please get more information about this bionic kidney. My mum is desperately in need of one . Thank you .

9. Roman Vano

Roman Vano Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Slovakia
    Hello there,
    I would like to ask you if there is any trial group, I have dialysis since 2011, so if something like that exists, I like to go into it :)
    Thanks in advance,
    Roman

Shaw Bosso likes this.
  10. Lara Cotton

Lara Cotton Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I have PKD. What are the studies for patients who have yet to go on dialysis. Is this an option for them to regain function the disease has taken from them??

Murdockmcgyver likes this.
  11. Khooshika

Khooshika Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Mauritius
    Hi, did anyone get any reply from them pls? Am desperately needing information regarding this device for my mother and am from Mauritius. My mom is at stage 5 and is doing dialysis from 2012 3 times a week. Any help pls?

12. Michael Maurer

Michael Maurer Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I have not gone to a transplant evaluation-I have been on dialysis 1 year-stay fully compliant. I am currently a facilities advocate and am starting a support group. I am 61 and have followed this development keenly-and would gladly volunteer for first human trials. I am a huge fan of technology-and applaud your efforts and use of latest technology. Thank you for consideration

Drive likes this.
  13. James Gouldlock

James Gouldlock Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I’m a dialysis patient who has been on it for 14 years. I would like more information, and if there are trials, I would like to be considered. Thank you.

Jeannetta Hartley and Drive like this.
  14. Sheila ramey

Sheila ramey Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Hello, please when will this be ready to the public I am in dire need of a kidney.

I would like to be on trial if you have one.
    Thank you very much,
    SHEILA

Drive likes this.
  15. Jenna Ortega

Jenna Ortega Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Has this product been endorsed by Medicare? If cost permit, this device can change cost for Medicare and have a domino effect on insurance companies and all medical cost as a whole.

Drive likes this.
  16. Stardust0001

Stardust0001 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    This sounds very news for dialysis patients, many of which need a kidney ASAP! I have an uncle in England that would greatly benefit from this feat of Bio-engineering. Could you supply a timeline when this would become available in the market. Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Drive likes this.
  17. Glenn Scarborough

Glenn Scarborough Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Kidney problems from birth, I am now 60. Very interested in this product as my next step is dialysis. Less than 1/2 of each kidney functioning now. Please contact me for availability.

Drive likes this.
  18. Indrasen

Indrasen Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Kindly share details urgent requirement

19. Shea Katilus

Shea Katilus Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I have gitelmans syndrome that is a genetic kidney disorder. My kidneys spill 10x the amount of potassium , magnesium and sodium that the normal kidney does. I would love to get more information about this ASAP! This has hindered my once normal life. I would be very interested in having this procedure!

20. Murdockmcgyver

Murdockmcgyver Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    So will it work with the tubular cells from a kidney with pkd? And if so can they be preserverd? And how should they be stored? And do you want the entire kidney to try and harvest the best cells? And when human trials begain can i get in on them?