centered image

centered image

Non-Opioid Pain Medicine Options Could Save Millions of Lives

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

25b729a5b9b52fbbaa5e345bef02f4ce.jpg

Opioid use in the U.S. is growing.

According to Stockton Medical Group in Fayetteville, the problem is especially bad in Northwest Arkansas.

Fox 24 News looked at what under the radar opioid options are available for pain management... which could save millions of lives.

"I was on pain medication for many years,"Counselor Krystal Sims said.

Sims works at Stockton Medical Group where they offer addiction treatment.

Opioid addiction has risen more than 300-percent in the U.S. since 1999.

It now outpaces car accidents as the leading cause of death.

According to Stockton Medical Group an astounding 75 to 80 percent of their patients started out in pain management.

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and then I broke my wrist and re-broke it about two months later, and a couple of things happened along the way," Sims said.

Doctor Tammy Post of Natural State Chiropractic said chronic use of opioids usually stems from a former injury that is still causing inflammation.

Sometimes she says your mind won't shut off its pain receptors, because of inflammation, so the problem is never really resolved.

"Believe it or not there's some food sensitivity testing that we can do to identify foods that trigger inflammation in the system," Post said.

"We can actually use something called P.R.P. which is stem cells. It's basically drawing your own blood and re-injecting it into areas that have inflammation. I've had patients with back pain for 20 years pain free within two weeks, and it's just not widely known," added Post.

They're options that could save lives.

But Sims says if you're going through withdrawals, there are choices available like the new Butran Patch and Suboxone that provide relief.

Sims said she was in treatment for about five years and was able to taper off the medication.

It may not work for everyone, but Sims says best way to get sober is to want to be sober.

Source

Add Reply