centered image

centered image

Six Annoying Things Doctors Tell Their Patients

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1. “Try to stay off your feet.”
    Sure, this makes sense when your walking could exacerbate a preexisting condition, and in such cases, crutches or perhaps even a wheelchair could be necessary. However, in less serious cases—especially when a long period of rest is prescribed—it just isn’t a realistic option. Unless you want to go on disability, you’re probably going to have to get back on your feet at some point if you want to work. Usually we go to the doctor to find out how we can get back to being mobile and active, not to be told that we should lie down all day.

We heard another version of this statement from someone who recently underwent Lasik surgery. When problems arose, she was told she shouldn’t look at a computer screen for long periods of time. Too bad she’s an editor who sits in a cubicle all day; unless she feels like looking for a new career, she can’t follow those orders.

2. “This won’t hurt a bit.”
    Usually, this line is used right before a sharp object is inserted into your arm or electric shocks are sent through your body. Notice that doctors never say this before using a tongue depressor or a stethoscope.

3. “Are you sexually active?”
    Not only is this question awkward for the patient to answer, it’s incredibly vague. There’s also a big difference in health risks for a person who’s monogamous and for one who has several sexual partners. It also doesn’t take into account whether or not protection is used and what type of protection. While questions about sexual practices are often necessary, something about the wording of this particular question makes your doctor sound like an out-of-touch health teacher.

4. “We’re just about done.”
    Usually this is said during an especially uncomfortable procedure. On the surface it isn’t a problematic phrase (you’d think it would be good news, actually), except it usually seems like doctors say this halfway through a series of shots or a painful test—not a time when the person going through these procedures would consider to be anywhere near the end. Clearly it’s a way to pacify a patient who’s obviously in pain and to give him or her a light at the end of the tunnel to focus on. But if there’s still plenty of pain left to endure after hearing this phrase from your physician, it can be extremely frustrating.

5. “We’ll need to see you again in a couple days for some tests.”
    Usually the patient’s internal response to this statement is something like, “Wait, couldn’t these tests have been scheduled for today’s visit? I have to come back again?” While doctors are never asked to take time away from work to visit you again and again in your office, they sometimes forget that patients have lives—and jobs. Getting time off work repeatedly within a short timeframe can be difficult, especially if your manager is strict about paid time off or suspects that your doctor’s appointments aren’t legitimate.

6. “I just got some samples of a drug that might work for you.”
    Most of the time, this is a harmless statement and the drug in question will help make you better. However, when you realize that your doctor is holding a pen with the drug’s name on it, which he uses to write down the prescription on a notepad with the same drug’s name, his or her motives can seem suspicious.

On the other hand, it’s important to remember that the vast majority of doctors are to be respected and listened to, especially when we find ourselves in their offices asking for help for what ails us. The best way to make sure your doctor provides optimum service is to come to your visits prepared with a list of your problems and an understanding that the doctor’s time is extremely valuable.

However, sometimes the doctor/patient relationship doesn’t pan out. If you can’t shake the feeling that your doctor is neglectful or offensive, it might make sense to try to change physicians. Sometimes it can pay to seek a second opinion.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply
    akuila waradi likes this.

2. Medrex

Medrex Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    Whilst I agree question #3 might sound a tad vague for a 40 yo, I still believe is a valid question if the one asking is a paediatrician and the one responding is a 16 yo girl/boy. Certain aspects that might need to be cleared after are done of course later, by means of follow up questions.

For me as a future OB/GYN, during my summer practice I have met people which answered this question and after doing so we stopped inquiring, as there was no need to know about protection and such. So I believe the general nature of the question is not vague at all.