centered image

centered image

Smart drug (Modafinil)

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Matej, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Matej

Matej Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Slovenia

Hi. I want to know more about this pill. Does anybody have any expirience with it? Does it work? I would like to try them and want to know more about them?

Add Reply

2. Monahsetah

Monahsetah Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I take modafanil for narcolepsy. I would not use it recreationally, or to stay awake to study. It doesn't work like typical stimulants (such as amphetamines).
    • Systemic: The mechanism of action of modafinil is uncertain . The pharmacological profile of modafinil differs from that of sympathomimetic amines . The CNS-activating actions of modafinil, methylphenidate, and amphetamine were studied in cats given doses of each medication that produced equivalent wakefulness . CNS-activation with methylphenidate and with amphetamine was widespread; however, CNS-activation with modafinil occurred in discrete brain regions , suggesting a more specific wakefulness-promoting effect with modafinil . Modafinil does not show alpha-adrenergic agonist activity in vitro or in animal studies; however, the wakefulness induced by modafinil can be attenuated by prazosin, an alpha 1-adrenergic antagonist . Modafinil does not bind to norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), adenosine, histamine H 3, melatonin, or benzodiazepine receptors, nor does it inhibit monoamine oxidase (MAO)-B or phosphodiesterases II through V .
    • Modafinil produces alterations in mood, perception, thinking, and feelings that are typical of other CNS stimulants and is reinforcing in primate self-administration tests of abuse potential . Also, modafinil blocks dopamine reuptake in vitro.

mariah likes this.