centered image

centered image

Spot Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Spot Diagnosis' started by neo_star, Mar 14, 2013.

1. neo_star

neo_star Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    India

[​IMG]

Add Reply

Attached Files:

2. Emergency medicine Mike

Emergency medicine Mike Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Czech Republic
    Bruising. In diferential idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.

neo_star likes this.
  3. neo_star

neo_star Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    i saw a comment on facebook which says - may be played too much soccer with older brothers. I think it's a fantastic differential, but i hav a younger brother and so i can tell u that if it indeed was the case, then the older brother wud hav visited the ER with ATC - 'acute testicular crisis ' :hhh:

on a more serious note...what cud be the one test ( blood test ), that cud differentiate - the diagnosis by E M Mike from the diagnosis of bruising on the field of play ?...it can't be from Hx....since most children in this age group will b into some sport or other, which involves physical contact esp. soccer ( most common ).
    the last thing u wanna do is being callous and missing out on something gross :oops:

4. Rosita

Rosita Active member

M.D.,M.P.H
    Practicing medicine in:
    Canada
    if the upper respiratory infection was by some microorganism like mycoplasma,then may be these bruises are the results of thrombocytopenia .

neo_star likes this.
  5. Chriss

Chriss Well-Known Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Mexico
    Responding to neo_star question, a complete blood count should be done.

neo_star likes this.
  6. neo_star

neo_star Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Answer: Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

Discussion

Chriss is right about doing a complete CBC. and it's imp. to look at the slide under a microscope ( and not just merely put the blood sample into a cell counter ).
    I recently asked for a CBC in a child who came with some bruising and looked exactly like the image in the challenge. He was having fever and upper respiratory congestion from a few days which when subsided was followed by a rash on his trunk and petechiae, mostly on his legs and arms. The CBC report showed a low platelet count (50 k ), schistiocytes and P vivax.

At this stage, i had in mind : Evans syndrome ( i.e Autoimmune attack on platelets + Autoimmune attack on RBCs ), Malaria and Dengue ( becos of the rash, appearing during defervescence and the fever returning again ( common in my part of the world, although this is off season ). So i asked for a hematocrit and IgG and M to Dengue. The hematocrit was high ( inspite of malaria ), and the child was positive for Dengue....child was closely monitored for Fluid status and started on Malaria Rx and was discharged in 5 days ( his stay being uneventful ).

So, yes a simple CBC and peripheral smear ( thick and thin slides ) is a treasure trove of information and is here to stay
    (-: