centered image

centered image

The Top Five Things Every Guy Should Know About Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dietetics' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Pregnancy is an amazing journey for both man and woman. The roller coaster is at times joyous, surreal, and even frightening. Like most men, I thought pregnancy was something that happened around men, not to them. I could not have been more wrong.

These are the five things I wish I would have known before I saw those two blue lines:

1. Your relationship has changed.
    The way you view one another will never be the same. This is a good thing. She is the mother of your child and you are the father of hers.

I found myself very protective and looking at her and the way people interacted with her in a whole new light. I would not call this jealousy, just caution. I felt an overwhelming need to protect her and my child, and yes, at times I overreacted.

2. She is pregnant, not disabled.
    In the beginning I wanted to do it all for her. Chores, work, errands, anything and everything I could think of to help her. It was nice at first, but after about three weeks I was worn ragged and she was often frustrated by my overbearing efforts.

Pregnant women are capable and often energetic. Be helpful, but do yourself a favor and don't treat her like she is already in the hospital.

3. Libido fluctuations.
    This may be taboo, but for the first few months her desire to get intimate was insatiable. I thought I had won the sexual lottery. Don't be fooled into thinking this is your new sexual norm.

Hormones are incredible entities, and hers will be going haywire. In my experience, there are times of great abundance and unfortunately seasons of drought. Don't take the times of scarcity personally, and make sure she knows how attractive she is to you both inside and out.

4. Physical reconstruction.
    Her body will be changing rapidly and often painfully. Tailbones ache, hips and feet will be sore. Her breasts will look the best they ever have, but proceed with caution. These too will be severely uncomfortable (and yes, it is apparently normal for nipples to become noticeably darker).

5. Sacrifices.
    Consider having to become pregnant. Women have to be careful about the foods they eat, the medicines they take, and the environments they experience. Pregnancy limits a woman in a plethora of ways. They can't drink, eat a rare steak, or lift anything of significant weight.

She can't be the only one making sacrifices. Do yourself a favor and give up the late nights with the guys, smoke-filled bars, or any of the pre-pregnancy things that you probably did when you were dating.

Your life has changed. I'm not advocating that you spend all of your free time as one, but she will appreciate you giving up your Thursday guy's night to cook her dinner and watch a movie.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply