centered image

centered image

What Are Medical Tattoos ?

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Many people now are using medical tattoos to warn emergency responders about important medical conditions.

For a few years now, customers from the Fountain City have been coming in to Tattoo Tommy's on Victory Drive to get tattoos listing their identification and medical history.

Donie Schrecengost with the tattoo parlor says, "They're tattoos saying their ailments they have or their illnesses they carry with them being, do not resuscitate if found in certain conditions, blood types, religions."

The tattoos have also been known to list allergies and diseases and are especially popular with soldiers.

Donny says much like an Army dog tag, the soldiers call them meat tags.

The tattoo is meant to identify and aide, or have the body disposed of, in the way the person would wish.

"They usually put them like I told you in the pit area under their arm so that you could see them if something happened. Lots of military guys get them, if they're out on the battlefield and they get shot or blown up usually that spot is left behind where they can see that."

While the trend is growing for both civilians and soldiers, some soldiers News Leader 9 spoke with did not agree with the idea.

Caleb Oberrath says, "I don't agree with it, if you're hurt in a car accident no one is going to be taking your shirt off in the middle to see what you're allergic too." Justin Thompson added, "I think it makes a lot of sense to an extent but at the same time I think it could hurt somebody at the same time.

If someone doesn't agree with that person or doesn't like that person then it could end up ultimately hurting that person."

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    patricia prianca likes this.

2. Kavi.Flu

Kavi.Flu Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Macedonia
    some interesting tattoos.
    penicillin-tattoo440.jpg