centered image

centered image

What I’ve Learned About Living With A CPAP Machine

Discussion in 'Physiology' started by Mahmoud Abudeif, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Mahmoud Abudeif

Mahmoud Abudeif Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I didn't know quite what to think when I brought my CPAP machine home from the doctor for the first time. I was surrounded by hoses, my CPAP machine itself, the mask, and I was a little bit terrified. I had tried my mask on at the doctor's office, but it was still quite an experience those first few nights wearing my new CPAP.

[​IMG]

Life with your new CPAP device will take a little bit of time to get used to it. One tip I recommend is to place the machine in several different positions on your nightstand until you find one that works the best for you.

You want to position the machine so the hoses won’t get tangled with anything. This can take a little bit of trial and error until you find the right spot. You can always change the position if it doesn't work for you at first. I tried several and then settled on one that was the most convenient.

Your machine probably comes with a travel case. You should practice taking the components apart, putting them in the case, and then putting the machine together again. This will make it easier when it's time to take your machine on the road.

Your machine will also require routine maintenance. Set a day to clean the main hose. Clean the mask itself every day and the harness for the mask at least once a week. Establishing a routine makes it easier for you to use your CPAP machine. Another helpful tip is to use a journal to record each time you clean the components of your machine.

Living with a CPAP requires you to establish a new routine. This is going to be a part of your life for the foreseeable future. You should get as familiar with your CPAP machine as possible. Talk to your doctor if you don't understand how some of the components work. Once you’ve established that routine, it becomes a lot easier to live with it.

You may also want to join support groups for people that have sleep apnea. I’ve found these groups to be extremely helpful with excellent advice. This helped me in the beginning when I was terrified to use the machine for the first time. I think it's important to connect with others who have this condition to make it easier to manage.

It will take a little time to get used to living with your CPAP. Once you do, it’ll become a normal routine like any other in your life. My life has changed for the better since using my machine. I have a great sleep, more energy, I'm happier, and my quality of life has never been better.

Source

Add Reply