centered image

centered image

5 Risks of Rapid Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Dietetics' started by Egyptian Doctor, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

You might be considering rapid weight loss solutions in order to see immediate changes in your body. Indeed, seeing yourself drop the pounds after just several days of dieting can be a wonderful experience. However, how long can you expect to keep the pounds off and just how safe is rapid weight loss? These are a couple of the controversies surrounding the many rapid weight loss solutions that are appearing in the diet industry. Medical professionals maintain that the safest way to lose weight is to drop no more than two or three pounds each week. Losing more would pose risks to the health and may result in gaining back the weight shortly. If you’re considering a rapid weight loss solution, here are some of the health risks that you should know about.

1. Formation of Gall Stones

Most rapid weight loss methods require you to fast or to severely restrict your diet. These sudden changes can cause your body to produce a higher amount of cholesterol while reducing the amount of bile salts in your system. This decrease in bile salts and increase in cholesterol results in the formation of gall stones ”“ cholesterol buildup that takes on a solid form. Gall stones can cause painful attacks and can lead to further complications. The gall stones could clog up your bile ducts and can result in inflammation of the pancreas, gall bladder or liver. These complications may require you to undergo surgery in order to remove the gall stones.

2. Dehydration

Many dieters who try rapid weight loss solutions report successfully losing a significant amount of weight in as little as a week. What they don’t know is that most of the weight they have lost comes from their water weight. This is why dehydration is one of the health dangers you face when undergoing rapid weight loss. A healthy weight loss plan includes drinking plenty of water, and this is simply not advocated by many fast weight loss solutions.

3. Malnutrition

Many weight loss plans that promise rapid weight loss involve eating a severely restricted diet. Even though these restricted diets lower your daily caloric intake, they don’t necessarily provide you with your nutrient needs. This means that you’re depriving your body of certain nutrients that it needs for good health, and this can result in serious deficiencies in the future.

4. Muscle Tissue Loss

Another health risk that rapid weight loss advertisers don’t tell you about is that you may actually lose muscle tissue. When you deprive yourself of the calories needed to make energy, your body automatically turns to other reserves of energy. Even though your fat cells are considered as energy reserves, so are your muscle tissues. The change in metabolism caused by rapid weight loss can cause your body to digest the muscle tissues while the fat cells remain.

5. Risk of Eating Disorders

The desire to lose weight rapidly can lead to serious eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia.
    To make sure you lose weight without harming your health, opt for a safer weight loss plan that involves a balanced diet and regular exercise.

rapid weight loss.jpg

Source

Add Reply
    neo_star likes this.

2. contactandrew

contactandrew Active member

Health adviser
    Practicing medicine in:
    Canada
    Definitely such weight losing processes can be dangerous. For loosing weight without harm the juice cleanse system is the best way. Many people around the world are using this and getting positive results. Juice cleanse increases the energy level of the body and remove the extra fat from the human body.

3. neo_star

neo_star Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    @ contactandrew : I think u should come up with some more details of ur (since u r recommending it so much! ) product.

i have already posted in detail about what I think about ur's and similar products - here http://forum.facmedicine.com/dietetics/11019-10-reasons-why-you-dont-lose-weight.html

U should explain how ur product does this things safely.
    wink) Are all the ingredients declared on the label - diuretics, thyroid hormones, caffeine, amount of added salt ? Any added preservatives - becos with all that sugar (from the fruit and veg juice) there can be some fermentation (which 4 ur information doesn't require oxygen, so even tight sealing won't protect) making ur product sour / rancid / unpalatable.

And how will it clear all the fat it mobilises ? If it actually does mobilise any. What u think happens to all the fat once in the circulation ? How is it eliminated from the body ? if the patient continues with his same lifestyle habits which led to the obesity in the first place...i don't see the fat being utilized in preference to all the sugars in your 'JUICE CLEANSE'. If the fat is not cleared then all the fat will clog up the liver - making an already existing fatty liver problem worse. Secondly the person can go into something called " ketosis " or "ketotic acidemia" which if not severe enough can definitely hamper with the working of the heart ( depress myocardial contractility ) and cause irreversible damage to the brain ( esp the cerebral cortex ).

Some more technical info required - how do u measure improvements in immunity and cancer fighting ability ? WBC counts going up or down or antibody levels or the amount of bacteria excreted in the feces ( Ecoli count ), serial urine cultures....how did u do it ? Just asking 4 some advice...becos I can use it as well. I hope u DID :hhh:, becos u r reporting improvements with ur product.

And what if I take all the same stuff, brought fresh from the market and eat it with all the fiber and added nutrients and without the preservatives ( of course ).

Last but not the least - all the excess fatty acid brought into circulation will convert into a molecule called acetyl CoA which are precursors for cholesterol synthesis.

I am sure such a swanky product with an even swankier website and a couple of models to promote on the homepage - U definitely have FDI approval / approval from some regulatory body
    wink)

I am attaching 2 articles to broaden ur vision further - (at least read the wiki article)

1) Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2) Juice Cleanse: 9 Reasons Why Juice-Based Diets Don't Work

Regards
    neo_star

Seemingly harmless products like - Juice Cleanse can also DO serious harm....So Beware !

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    @neo-star : :D :D :D

I noticed this too

neo_star likes this.
  5. contactandrew

Health adviser
    Practicing medicine in:
    Canada
    @ neo_star I think you should follow the link for the information about the products. Second thing is that it is up to you how you see the positivity and negativity of any thing. There are so many articles and information regarding juice cleanse on the internet which says about the benefits of the juice cleanse. I know there are some side effects of juice cleanse but with the proper use and genuine product you can get benefit. I get benefits that is why i am saying this. You can not say completely that juice cleanse have no benefits.

6. contactandrew

Health adviser
    Practicing medicine in:
    Canada
    And one more thing I am not the owner of the company so I have not the answers of your questions. I am user of this product and I am just yelling the reviews. If you have any query regarding the product you can contact them and ask them about your questions.
    Thanks.

7. neo_star

neo_star Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Well, just look at all ur posts. U seem to be here on a singular mission. Technically it's called 'spamming'. And now u r saying that u hav no clue about the product u r using...but still flagging the product so steadfastly. By shifting the answering burden on to the product owners...u have cleverly and subtly absolved urself of any responsibility or accountability - if somebody were not to benefit from the purported claims wink) will u b available then for contact dear Andrew ?

I will be on this forum for a long time and I take full responsibility for my axns here. Can u promise the same ?

I am not targeting u in any way...but i am doing my bit as a doctor. If I sense a harm from anything I see as damaging to human health, i will certainly point out - on this forum and everywhere else. Ur product won't do any harm to the swanky models on the website...becos after a workout, u need some quick calories for the rebuilding process ( Gatorade or any other Sports drink will do just as well and freshly pressed orange juice even better ). But somebody who is obese, possibly has Diabetes or may be pre-diabetic and if such people consume this product it will hasten their entry into the scary world of Diabtes - comprising of Insulin pens b4 every meal, early onset heart disease, stroke, kidney problems, vision loss etc.

P.S : Please check the advertising policy for this forum.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. neo_star

neo_star Moderator

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    Self Assessment Question related to Juice Cleanse and similar Detox products ( that lack fiber and target obese patients, most of whom have diabetes as well )

[FONT=&amp] A 39-year old diabetic man asks you questions about his diet. Which of the following is true?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    A. A high-fiber diet improves glycemic control[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]B. A low-carbohydrate diet improves glycemic control[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]C. A high-protein diet improves glycemic control[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]D. Sucrose should not be included in the diabetic diet[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]E. A formalized dietary program is more likely to produce long-term sustained effects[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]EXPLANATION: [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    Glycemic control is dependent on the total caloric intake, not the type of calorie taken in. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Low-carbohydrate and high-protein diets have not been shown to improve glucose control more than weight loss from other methods. Sucrose does not need to be eliminated, but it may raise blood sugar more quickly after ingestion. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Formal dietary programs are not more likely to produce long-term sustainable results unless exercise is a large component of the plan. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Increased fiber does improve glycemic control.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    The answer is [/FONT]A

The following analysis is only to provoke some thought on the subject of juice diets and detox and not to hurt sentiments.

The only problem I have with the claims of products such as Juice Cleanse is that they make irrational claims.

Firstly how is the juice any better than the whole fruit, while infact without the fiber from the whole fruit it will lead to a more rapid increase in blood sugars.

Secondly' such fruit juices are high on fructose and we know now that, fructose (either as High fructose corn syrup or table sugar ) does contribute to insulin resistance, fatty liver and diabetes.

Thirdly, fructose metabolism is diff from glucose metabolism primarily by exhausting the ADP ( as a part of it's metabolism ) - leading to high uric acid levels. High uric acid is emerging as a new health risk - not becos of the joint problem, but because it hampers with nitric oxide synthase - thus resulting in elevated BP and enhanced platelet aggregation and enhanced leukocyte adhesion to endothelium, increased smooth muscle proliferation - all sec to decreased NO levels.

Last but not the least is the bogus claim about live enzymes ( the biggest b@#$%it floating around ). Any live enzyme in our foods, being proteins will be denatured by the stomach acid and be rendered ineffective. Why do we have proenzymes, which are so tightly regulated and are activated into active enzymes only at a specific pH.

Many of the products of this nature have high osmotic compounds ( the sugars and added salt and some caffeine - not declared on the label ) and some added diuretics ( again not declared on the label ) and that gives some loose motions and some extra visits to the laterine and gives us a light feel, but it is due to dehydration and we think that we lost 2kg of toxin - no it's 2 kgs of fluid and it will come back in a day or two and we will repeat the juices and somebody will be laughing all the way to the bank :hhh:

And the claim about the ability to detox, well beyond our inbuilt detox system - well our body has a good system in place to detox us and by going on a calorie restricted juice diet does not help to detox. Why ?

Becos detox is the most intricate process our body carries out and requires the widest range of nutrients and calories. So if we were to go on a monotonus juice diet - which is restricted in minerals and other micronutrients becos of the lack of varitey then compex processes like detox are the first to suffer.

One last thing - Some of the detox and weight loss diets do add varying amounts of thyroid hormone which actually leads to some weight loss, but also suppresses ur own thyroid hormone production ( by neg. feedback ) and when u suddenly stop ur detox / weight loss regimen u may land into hypothyroidism ( depending on the degree of suppression ).

Disclaimer - I am not being critical of anybody, but just trying to keep the facts in a simple way becos as doctors if we can be fooled by wild and outrageous claims, then what about the rest of the population wink)

to sum up

Juice cleanse or similar products cause a faster spike in blood sugars, which if u don't utilise immediately by hitting the gym, will be converted to fat and bring back all that belly fat you may have lost by the right measures. So always go for whole food with fiber...it actually aids in absorbing cholesterol and toxins. Juices can never be better than whole food esp. 4 somebody who is trying to lose weight.

The only time juices are healthy are post an intense workout...when u actually need some quic
    k calories.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013