centered image

centered image

No more dialysis, Scientists Have Developed A Bionic Kidney!

Discussion in 'Biomedical Engineering' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Griffintwin

Griffintwin Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    My Twin is on dialysis, I have questions, has it been approved by FDA, how much is it, how long does it take to get it, is it a lfe threatening procedure?

Jeannetta Hartley likes this.
  2. nanasbabies19

nanasbabies19 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    would like to also know how much one of these would cost and are you making it affordable for all patients or just the ones with money???

3. Pedro Rivera III

Pedro Rivera III Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I have been on dialysis since 2003. Home hemo since 2006. And a failed transplant in 2013. I would love to receive more information on this.

4. Monica Miranda

Monica Miranda Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    How could I get more information on it? My boyfriend is currently a dialysis patient

5. Rachel Branton

Rachel Branton Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Are they having trial period i would love to try out

6. JAMAL MUHAMMAD-EL

JAMAL MUHAMMAD-EL Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I am a patient on dialysis, been on for 8.5 years was on the transplant list but had to have wireless pace maker put in and it cause them to remove me from the transplant list the following month So can I still get this new discovery, so I can Teach and spread the good news.If so PLEASE PUT ME ON THE TRIAL I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS: [email protected] PHONE # 682-701-4013 cell

7. Christopher Pride

Christopher Pride Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I’m interested in finding out more information and signing up for the surgery.

8. Debbie Page

Debbie Page Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States

9. Bj Howell

Bj Howell Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    As a dialysis patient and retired Physician's Assist'nt this scares me. Simply b/c the insu companies and Big Pharma will make it so expensive until the common man won't be able to afford it.

10. Mr Timothy

Mr Timothy Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I see all the questions. I've asked them before myself. The only information I got was it really doesn't exist. They'll happily take your money though. You can sooner buy a bridge in Brooklyn then get any data or proof of concept on this. Sorry to be a kill joy.

11. Kristi Carmicheal

Kristi Carmicheal Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I've been on dialysis 19 years I would love to sign up please ASAP! We just found out my youngest son has ESRD and started dialysis 4 months ago! We also found out its genetic and it's a protein deficiency even tho my biopsy showed severe scarring due to high blood pressure but that was 19 years ago!

12. Shaw Bosso

Shaw Bosso Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I also am intrested in trial.

13. Shaw Bosso

Shaw Bosso Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I also am interested in trial. I am a patient with no chance of transplant because of antibodies in my blood. I would love to be in the trial.

14. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Guys this is a forum for doctors to discuss new research, guidelines ... etc., we are not the researchers doing this research however:

- Human trials for the bionic kidney are supposed to begin next year according to researchers from the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), the University of Vanderbilt, and the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), check here: https://forum.facmedicine.com/threa...19-with-first-patient-implants-in-2020.41543/

- You can find answers for your questions in the link mentioned above: https://pharm.ucsf.edu/kidney/device/faq

Jeannetta Hartley likes this.
  15. Clayton

Clayton Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Armenia
    I would like all the information about this my mom could really use one thank you

16. Robert M Deems

Robert M Deems Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    This Certainly Seems to Be GREAT News for Patients! It Certainly Sounds Like this Endeavor was Backed By a Lot of Government Money which IS Actually a GREAT American "Thing," but One of the "Problems" with the USA's Healthcare System is the Amount of MONEY, Researchers or the Corporations They Work For end up MAKING From Research Sponsored By Our TAX Dollars!

17. Willie Orange

Willie Orange Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I would like to have more information about this procedure. I am need of a kidney also and when will this available?

18. Maria cruz

Maria cruz Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I am very much interested in the information please is it available i am inquiring for my boss that is on dialysis and he would like more info on it please my email is [email protected] and how much does it cost

19. Helen Roxas

Helen Roxas Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Philippines
    Can i still participate in the study? I want to get a new kidney since all my siblings and our mother passed away of the Polycystic kidney disease. Iam now sufferring the same at 55 y.o

[​IMG]

Many of them must wait for years to get a kidney transplant and live normally, with seemingly no other solution on the horizon. However, there’s finally a light in the dark tunnel – scientists from the University of California at San Francisco, USA, have developed the world’s first bionic kidney which can replace damaged kidneys easily and effectively.

The bionic kidney is a perfect replica of our kidneys. This artificial kidney consists of numerous microchips and is moved by the heart. Like the normal kidneys, it is able to filter waste and toxins from the bloodstream.

The project was unveiled by Willian Vanderbilt Fissels and Shuvo Roy from the University of California, offering renewed hope for millions of kidney dialysis patients. Now, some of you may be wondering “But, what if the body rejects it?”, but, the scientists assure us that the chances of rejection are zero! Incredible, right?

This is because the bionic kidney is made from renal cells. The first prototype is the size of a coffee cup and can balance the levels of sodium and potassium in the body while regulating blood pressure.

The project is wonderful news for any dialysis patient. In the beginning (November 2015), the scientists received $6 million from the Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, and it’s safe to say that the money were well spent.

The scientists have high hopes for the bionic kidney, and the lead researcher, Dr. Victor Gura, says that the device will be available for sale in only 2 years.

Read Also:
    - Human Trials For Artificial Kidney To Begin This Year, With First Patient Implants In 2020
    - Nephrotic vs Nephritic Syndrome
    - Wearable Artificial Kidneys Offers An Alternative to Traditional Dialysis
    - Medical specialty quiz
    - Scientists Successfully Grow Sheep In Artificial Womb, Now They Want Humans To Be Next

[/QUOTE]

20. Terry Kirkpatrick

Terry Kirkpatrick Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States