centered image

centered image

What Are The Situations Where A Doctor Gets Called In The Middle Of The Night And Has To Be There?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

What are the situations where a doctor gets called in the middle of the night and has to go to the hospital?

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Kate Devlin

[​IMG]

My birth is recorded in several medical journals. Apparently I'm a medical miracle. Before me there were only two others in America with the same condition. There have been more since me, but I'm the third.

I can still walk into the hospital in Fairbanks, Alaska, where I was born. The older nurses in Labor and Delivery still remember me.

The doctor wanted to be in the New England Journal of Medicine, and he knew I was his ticket. So he left specific instructions: No one, and I mean No One else, gets to perform this C Cection. I don't care where I am or what I'm doing, you come and get me.

So they did.

He was rock climbing when the time came. He had given the hospital his coordinates just in case.

They sent a helicopter to pull him off the side of a mountain.

Ambition is powerful. It takes you places. It gets you through years of medical school and grueling residencies. It gets you out of bed at stupid o’ clock in the morning. It gets you pulled off mountains by helicopters. When it's combined with caring and compassion it saves lives.

It saved mine.

Edit: My mother was on dialysis in total kidney failure while she was pregnant. Most doctors advised her to abort but she refused. Carrying a fetus in this situation is extremely risky. Most don't survive at all, even today. The ones who do usually have severe birth defects or health issues. But tests showed I was healthy.

Source

Add Reply